Olive oil is a natural juice which preserves the vitamins, taste, aroma, and properties of the olive fruit. Olive oil is the only vegetable oil that can be consumed as it is - freshly pressed from the fruit. It's long been reported that there are a number of health benefits of olive oil. Yes, you have heard it right: "olive oil is much more than a salad dressing". The beneficial health effects of olive oil are due to its high content of monounsaturated fatty acids and its high content of antioxidative substances. And yes, the same oil is also good for skin. We discuss below the health and beauty benefits of olive oil.
Health benefits of olive oil
- Olive oil contains high levels of monounsaturated fatty acids, which promote good cholesterol (HDL) while reduces bad cholesterol (LDL).
- It is gentle on the digestive system, and also prevents gallstones.
- It also soothes ulcers.
- Olive oil of good quality contains many valuable nutrients and vitamins and it is loaded with antioxidants, which also help protect the body from cancer.
- Olive oil can be used for solving snoring problem. Just take a teaspoon of olive oil before bed. This will lubricate and soothe your throat to cut down on snoring.
- Warm some olive oil and apply to the outside of the ear cavity to ease pain and loosen ear wax. Putting warm drops directly in the ear is an old remedy for earaches.
- Some people take a teaspoon every morning to cure their stomach ulcer or indigestion.
- Taking 1 tablespoon of olive oil mixed with 4 ounces of citrus juice or vinegar every morning has cured gallbladder pain.
Olive oil for beauty
- Moisturiser: Olive oil can be used as a moisturizer. It is a wonderful skin treatment. It is useful for fighting skin cancer and aging. Whether applied to face or body, olive oil will penetrate deep into the skin. It provides a long-lasting moisture shield to keep skin smooth and supple. Used either as a night cream or daily moisturizer, it is best applied to damp skin, when water can help reduce any feeling of greasiness. We recommend using extra virgin olive oil.
- Shavingcream:Use olive oil as an alternative to shaving cream.It also makes a great "personal lubricant"!
- Dry hair:For frizzy and dry hair, warm enough olive oil to cover your hair and scalp. Cover your head and leave on for 30 minutes or so. Then shampoo and rinse.
- Acne:Olive oil is a good remedy for acne. Make a paste with 3 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil with 4 tablespoons salt (unrefined sea salt). Apply on your face and wash with warm, soapy water after 2-3 minutes. The salt will clean your pores and the olive oil will retain your skins natural moisture.
- Removing maskara: Use olive oil to remove mascara.
- Nail care:Extra virgin olive oil makes the perfect, simple solution for dry nails and cuticles. Simply rub a few drops into the cuticle area and around the nail. Cuticles stay plump and moist, and nails respond with a natural shine.
Popular Types of Olive Oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil: Strong natural flavors that go perfectly with uncooked foods like salads, salmon or as a dip for bread. They have not been treated or processed with chemicals at all and come in grades ranging from premium extra virgin olive oil to virgin olive oil. This is based on their flavor and acidity levels.
- Olive Oil or Pure olive oil: This is a blend of virgin oil and refined oils. The refining process neutralises the strong aroma making it unsuitable as a seasoning on uncooked food. We recommend this oil for cooking Indian food because the flavour of the oil does not affect the flavours of the Indian masalas.
- Extra light olive oil: Undergoes considerable processing and only retains a very mild olive flavour. This is a marketing concept and not a classification of olive oil grades. It is completely unregulated by any certification organizations and therefore has no real precedent to what its content should be. Sometimes, the olive oil is cut with other vegetable oils.
Recommended Brands of Olive Oil
- Olive Tree: Olitalia
- Colavita Dalmia Continental
- Filippo Berio
- Borges India