The skin colour is dependent on the pigments called melanin. These are produced by specialized cells (melanocytes) of the skin. Sometimes, the melanin production is either too little or too much which cause skin pigmentation disorders. When skin pigmentation occurs, the skin looks lighter or darker than normal , somewhat discoloured or blotchy. There are two types of skin pigmentation: hyperpigmentation (too much melanin) and hypopigmentation (too little melanin). There are many causes which lead to pigmentation like as stress, burning, ultraviolet radiation, chemicl reaction, medicine side effects, dietary imbalances etc.
Home Remedies for Skin Pigmentation
Let’s check out some of the remedies for skin pigmentation using natural products. Together, with this, we will also discuss the different pigmentation disorders. It is to be noted that home remedies do not show immediate results. In order to get the desired results, it is better to follow the skin care regime religiously everyday.
Pigmentation Disorders and their Home Remedies
Hyperpigmentation or Hypopigmentation: There can be decrease or increase of pigmentation on the skin due to a skin infection, tan, sun burn, blisters, other burns or other trauma to your skin. These pigment changes can be prevented using home remedies.
- Almond, lemon and fresh cream : Take few almonds, few drops of lemon juice and fresh cream. Make a paste. Apply on the affected area and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with water.
- Papaya: Take a mashed papaya or papaya juice and apply on the affected area. This helps in removing tans and sunburns. It will also improve your skin complexion.
- Tomato Juice, Oat Meal and Yogurt: Take 2 tablespoon of oatmeal, half a teaspoon of yogurt and juice of one tomato. Mix it properly. Apply on the patches and wash your face when it dries completely.
- Lemon juice and Turmeric: Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to a teaspoon of turmeric powder. Apply and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with cold water. Do not go out into the sun with the application on.
- Mint Leaves: Grind a few mint leaves. Make a paste with water. Apply on the affected area. It lessens dark pigmentation.
- Lemon juice: Cut a lemon. Apply directly to your face. If you are not comfortable with this, dilute lemon juice in water and use it as a cleanser.
Melasma: Tan or brown patches, seen on the forehead, cheeks, upper lip, nose, and chin, specially in pregnant women.
|Melasma Pigmentation Disorder|
- AloeVera Gel: Apply aloe vera gel on the affected area and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with warm water. It lightens dark spots.
- Orange and Milk: Grate an orange's skin and make a paste with few teaspoons of milk. Massage your skin with this paste gently and wash it off with warm water. Do it 3 to 4 times a week. It removes the dark blotches.
- Turmeric powder and Milk: Take 5 tablespoons of turmeric powder and mix it in 10 tablespoons of milk. Apply the mixture all over your face and massage. Wash it off with warm water after few minutes.
- Almond and honey: Make a paste of almonds (soaked in water previous night) and honey. Apply on your face.
- Use suscreen
- Triphala Churan : According to Ayurvedic practitioners, 1 tablespoon of Triphala Churan with warm water at bed time is a good remedy for Melasma pigmentation.
Vitiligo: The body's immune system attacks the pigment cells and there is consequent loss of pigments. This leads to white skin patches, usually around the mouth and eyes, neck or on the back of the hands or even the whole body. Although there is no permanent cure for this disorder, certain natural remedies can help treat the condition.
|Vitiligo Pigmentation disorder|
- Avoid sour foods including sour fruit juices because sour foods shift the pH balance of the body to acidic but for production of melanin, a more alkaline base is needed.
- Avoid sea food too.
- Keep water overnight in a copper vessel and drink it the next morning. This can help reduce vitiligo patches. Mix 5 teaspoons of turmeric powder in 250 ml of mustard oil. Make a paste and apply twice daily to the affected portions. It may take up to a year to see the results.
- Bakuchi and tamarind seeds: Do not throw the water that is used to wash the rice grains. Soak Bakuchi seeds and tamarind seeds in the water and keep it for a week. Grind it to a paste. Apply this paste to the leukoderma patches.
This pigmentation disorder is caused by the absence of melanin and it is an inherited disorder. It can occur in skin, hair, or eyes. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this. People with albinism must use a sunscreen at all times.