One of the largest and complex joints in the human body is the knee. Knee pain is a common problem faced by many with age. The knee is used daily by human bodies for various purposes like as sitting, running, walking, bending, dancing etc. Over the years the knee muscles go through much wear and tear and become weak, resulting in pain. Besides this there are other causes of knee pain like arthritis, injury to the knee during any sports activity, knee cap dislocation, overweight etc. Whatever the reasons, knee pain is not to be ignored. Before opting for any professional medical advise, you can try some simple home remedies to prevent or to cure knee pain.
Knee Pain Natural Remedies
- Rest: Taking rest is the most effective solution for knee pain. Take a break from any activity that may be causing your pain or knee soreness. Don't carry any heavy weight. When resting, place a small pillow under your knee.
- Ice Packs: Whenever you feel a pain in your knee or there is a swelling apply ice packs to prevent or minimize swelling. Apply the ice or cold pack for few minutes, 2-3 times a day.
- Heat Pack: A hot pack compression is also a good solution. But don't apply a hot pack immediately after an injury.
- Compression: To reduce swelling, you can also wrap the injured or sore area with an elastic bandage. Bit dot wrap it too tightly. This will cause numbness, tingling, increased pain, coolness, or swelling in the area below the bandage.
- Massage: Massage gently with warm oil. Take coconut or olive oil and heat it. Apply it over the pain area and gently massage it. This will relieve pain and encourage blood flow. Infact if you are a regular sufferer of knee pain, this is very helpful. Massage in a circular motion everyday. You will feel comfortable and your pain will also reduce.
- Indian spice: Take 2.5 teaspoons of Methi (Fenugreek) seeds and 3 teaspoons of Jeera (Cumin) seeds and soak overnight in 1 full glass of water. In the morning filter the water and drink it. This should be done on an empty stomach. Drinking this water will reduce the Knee pain.
- Another Indian spice remedy: Take 2 teaspoons Haldi (Turmeric ) and I teaspoon Hing (Asafoetida) and soak them in water. Make a paste. Apply this paste to the Knee. Doing this will relieve the pain.
- Reduce weight: If you are overweight and suffer from knee pain, the first thing that you should do is to reduce weight. Go for brisk walking, avoid eating fatty and oily stuff. Eat lots of green vegetables and fresh fruits. Swimming and biking are also good exercises fro knee.
- Try exercises like as hamstring chest and knee-to-chest exercises to maintain flexibility.
- Do not smoke. Smoking slows healing because it decreases blood supply and delays tissue repair.
Other Essential Remedies for Knee Pain
- Having a glass of warm water mixed with powered Bishop's weed seeds is another valuable natural remedy for Knee Pain.
- During the winter, keep your knee heated and warm.
- Dried ginger, Wintergreen, Boswellia, Devil's claw, Cat's claw and similar other herbs are regarded as highly beneficial therapeutic home remedies for Knee Pain.
- Yoga and acupuncture also serve as excellent Knee Pain home remedies.