A very common illness that affects infants and elderly alike is the common cold. There are many causes of cold. Many believe that cold is due to cold weather. But this is not always the case. There are many viruses which cause cold. On an average people may get 2 to 4 colds per year depending on their body immunity.
Symptoms of cold
- Frequent sneezing
- Blocked or runny nose
- Sore throat
- Reduced sense of taste and smell
- Dry cough
- Headache and mild fever
Cause of Cold
- Viral infection
- Person to person through sneezing
- Allergic disorders
- Low immunity power
- Menstrual cycles
- Change in weather
Home Remedies for Common Cold
Are cold and flu making you feel miserable? Here are few cold remedies that can make you feel better. The best part is that you can use them right now at your home.
- Take a tablespoon of crushed aijwain or carom seeds and tie it in a muslin cloth. Inhale this when your nose is blocked.
- Drink warm milk with pepper and turmeric. Boil 1 tbsp of pepper powder in milk together with a pinch of turmeric. Add some sugar for taste. Drink this once a day.
- Mix 3-4 tsp onion juice with 3-4 tsp honey and have it every day during cold.
- Boil water. Add coarsely pound ginger to it. Reduce the quantity to half, add some honey and drink hot at bedtime.
- Gargling can moisten a sore throat and bring temporary relief. Add a tsp of salt in warm water, and gargle 3-4 times daily.
- Drink Hot Soups and juices. Prevent dehydration. Hot drinks relieve nasal congestion.You should drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water.
- Apply Hot or Cold Packs Around Your Congested Sinuses. Take a damp washcloth and heat it for few seconds in a microwave and cover your nose with it for some time. Alternately, you can keep the keep the towel in the fridge for some time and get a cold pack.
- Put few drops of eucalyptus oil or vicks in some water and inhale it two or three times a day. It relieves from nose blockage.
- Take Vitamin C rich diet.
- Warm lemon water with honey helps loosen congestion
- Chewing few basil (tulsi) leaves is also helpful.
- Stay warm and rested.