Known scientifically as Cucumis sativus, cucumbers belong to the family of watermelons, zucchini, gourds, squashes and pumpkins. This is a wonderful low calorie vegetable which has more nutrients to offer than just electrolytes and water. One of the oldest cultivated crops, this is a all seasonal vegetable and hence its nutritional and health benefits can be availed all year round. They can be eaten raw as is or in vegetable salads or in the form of juice.
|Cucumber health benefits|
Cucumber Nutrition Facts
One medium sized slicing cucumber
- Calories 13 mg
- Vitamin C 5.5 mcg
- Vitamin A 223.60 UI
- Molybdenum 5.6 mcg
- Folate 13.52 mcg
- Fiber 0.83 g
- Magnesium 11.44 mg
Cucumber Health Benefits
- Keep body hydrated: Because cucumbers are 95% water, they keep the body hydrated. It helps to regulate the body’s inner temperature, especially during summers. They also help the body flush out toxins.
- Skin care: One of the most acclaimed benefits of cucumber is in skin care. It contains vitamin C which is good for skin. Even the skin of cucumber contains vitamin C. The skin of cucumber once peeled can be used to relieve sunburn and mild skin irritations. Cut cucumber in round thin slices and place them over your eyes for some time. It helps in removing dark circles. For detains check out Cucumber Benefits for Skin and Eyes.
- Hair growth: Studies have also shown that cucumbers can stimulate hair growth. Beauticians suggest the use of cucumber juice to reduce puffiness around the eyes and to reduce acne.
- Relieve indigestion: Cucumbers can help in relieving acid indigestion and heartburn . They are a good source of dietary fiber. It also helps reduce constipation
- Reduce blood pressure: Cucumbers can reduce blood pressure as they are rich in potassium and magnesium. Studies by DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) show eating cucumbers can help lower blood pressure by 5.5 points in some hypertension prone individuals when coupled with a diet of low starch and lean proteins.
- Reduce uric acid: Studies have also shown that cucumbers, when eaten on a regular basis, help to regulate uric acid. So it can prevent certain kidney or bladder stones.
- Relieve gout and arthritis pain: Cucumber is rich in vitamins A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. it is said that when cucumber is mixed with carrot juice, they can prevent gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.
- Diabetes cure: The cucumber juice is helpful for the diabetic patients. This vegetable contains a hormone needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin.
- Weight loss: Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber helps in checking weight gain.
- Bone building: They have high amount of vitamin K, which has a potential role in bone strength by promoting osteotrophic (bone mass building) activity.
Low Calorie Cucumber Diet
- Slice cucumbers, tomatoes, and shallots. Mix with red wine vinegar and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Toss and enjoy!
- Dice cucumbers and watermelon for a refreshing summer salad.
- Chop cucumbers and add to it low fat yogurt. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Healthy summer raita.
- Add 1 cup cucumber to blender or juicer for cucumber juice. Add a splash of lime juice and a pich of pepper powder for additional flavor.
- Use cucumber sticks or rounds instead of potato chips for your favorite dip!
Tip: Slice or chop cucumbers with the peel on to maximize health benefits.