Coconut water is the juice extracted from the interior or endosperm of young coconut. The juicy water obtained by opening a tender, green, healthy, and undamaged coconut, is one of the nature’s most refreshing drinks consumed worldwide for its nutritious and health benefits. The cocounut water is clear, sweet, and sterile and composed of unique chemicals such as vitamins, minerals, sugars, enzymes, electrolytes, amino acids, cytokine, and phyto-hormones, thereby making it a healthy electrolyte drink. Coconut water has much better composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than some of fruits like oranges. Coconut water is a universally appealing drink. There are no known side effects associated with it. It is not only cherished in healthy individuals but also considered safe for pregnant women, infants as well as sick individuals.
- Dehydration: Coconut water is a very refreshing drink, especially during summers to beat tropical summer thirst and replenish hydration levels in the body.
- Diarrhea: Coconut water has been generally offered to patients with diarrhea. Coconut water contains a very good amount of electrolyte potassium. 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. Together, these electrolytes help replenish electrolytes deficiency in the body due to diarrhea. It helps in replacing fluid loss from the body. Unlike WHO-ORS, its water is very low in sodium and chlorides, but rich in sugars and amino acids. This well-balanced fluid composition with its required amount of calories is an ideal drink than any other brand of soft drink beverages in dehydration conditions.
- Digestion: Coconut water helps in digestion and metabolism. It is also an immunity booster.
- Urinary disorders: The coconut water is helpful in curing problems of urinary disorders.
- Toxins: Drinking coconut water washes out toxins from human body. It acts as a natural diuretic in heart, liver and kidney disorders.
- Kidney stones: Coconut water helps in eliminating kidney stones.
- Virus: Helps your body in fighting viruses that cause the flu, herpes, and AIDS
- Cancer: Helps keep the pH balance in check, thereby reducing the risk of cancer
- Cardiovascular health: According to researchers, people with high blood pressure usually have low potassium levels. Therefore, drinking coconut water can be quite effective at regulating blood pressure due to its high concentration of potassium and lauric acid. Similarly, studies have found that coconut water can help increase HDL (good) cholesterol, which makes it a wonderful natural treatment for maintaining good cardiovascular health.
- Weight Loss: Coconut water is a natural electrolyte and isotonic beverage which help increase the body's metabolism. Therefore, it can greatly help people who are struggling with weight issues.
- Cholera: Tender coconut water is very useful in cholera. Give eight to 12 ounces of coconut water mixed with a teaspoonful of fresh limejuice to the patient.
Coconut Water for Skin
- Coconut water fades off pimple marks. Dab on a cotton ball and use it three times a day.
- For people suffering from chicken pox drinking and dabbing coconut water on the boils offers relief.
- Coconut water is used as a natural medicine to re-hydrate the body and to have a glowing and flawless skin
- If you have blackheads and other types of acne then you can also use coconut water as a mask. If you don’t want the coconut water to rest on your face then you can simply wash your face with it.
- Drink coconut water without any additions.
- Iced coconut water can be a refreshing drink.
- Fresh coconut water can be made special drink adding lemon slices, mint leaves, orange zest etc.
- Gel like meat (kernel) in the young tender coconuts is very sweet and delicious.