Curd or yogurt is the fermented milk, which is known to have several health benefits. Yogurt has a thick pudding like appearance. Curd has its pleasant and refreshing taste. It is highly versatile and health-promoting and one of the most valuable therapeutic foods. It is said that curd provides more nutritional values than milk. It is said that to gain maximum health benefits from curd, it should be eaten at the right time.
Check out the health benefits of curd
- Improve the digestive system
- Strengthen the immune system
- Coping with stomach problems
- Helpful for dealing with osteoporosis
- Absorbing the nutrients and minerals form other food stuffs
- Gives relief from dysentery
- Consuming curd proves beneficial for those suffering from vaginal infection
- Increases calcium content to get strong bones and teeth
- Minimizing the risk of high blood pressure
- Cholesterol level is controlled with the help of curd
- Curd or Yogurt contains live bacteria mainly streptococcus and lactobacillus. These bacteria convert the lactose in the milk into lactic acid. These bacteria then inhibit the growth of hostile or illness-causing bacteria inside the intestinal tract and promote beneficial bacteria needed for digestion.
- Curd brings relief to patients suffering from gastro-intestinal disorders such as chronic constipation and diarrhoea.
- Curd is helpful in the treatment of insomnia. The patient should take plenty of curd and massage it on the head. This will induce sleep.
- Premature old age and decay could be prevented by taking sufficient curd in the daily diet.
- In jaundice, curd sweetened with honey, makes an ideal diet.
Making your own yogurt at home is very easy and better than the ones found in the market. In fact in many Indian households, curd is invariably set at home and consumed daily. The steps for preparig curd is cery easy. Heat the milk to little more than luke warm. Add a tablespoon or a teaspoon of yogurt. Stir for sometime. And then keep it covered in a warm undisturbed place, until it sets. In summers, normally it takes 4-5 hours to set while in cold weather it takes 7-8 hours. Some also keep the milk near the water boiler or heater so that it sets early.
How to consume curd or yogurt?
Curd can be consumed directly. You can add salt or sugar depending on whether you like salty curd or sweet curd. It can also be mixed with other food items. You can have a serving of curd regularly with your lunch. Curd mixed with rice and a pinch of salts or sugar is a healthy lunch. You can use curd when you do not like spicy food. Curd can reduce the spicy taste of a curry and can add a new flavour to your food. Curd can also be used in the preparations of lassi, shrikhand, buttermilk etc. Having buttermilk prepared out of curd after the meals proves beneficial for digestion of food. You can make fruit drink using curd. Just add few pieces of mango or
strawberry to the curd and grind it. A fruity drink is ready for you. You can make curry using curd just by adding some coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, chilly powder. Curd can also be used in vegetable salads. Raita is also prepared with curd. Apart from providing nutritional and health benefits, curd is also used as a beauty product.
The market is flooded with wide varieties of flavored and non flavored curd. The major brands are Mother Dairy, Amul, Nestle. Pro biotic curds are also very popular. USA cheese curd is famous in the international markets.