Chapped lips or dry lips can be painful and very uncomfortable as they are characterized by cracked, flaky, dry, and sore lips. This is one problem which is faced by almost everyone from time to time at any time of the year. Dry lips become all the more uncomfortable when they interfere with many daily activities, such as smiling, eating and talking.
Symptoms of Dry Lips
- Tenderness and sensitivity
Causes of Cracked Lips
- Vitamin B2 Deficiency
- Lip Biting
- Ill-fitting dentures
- Allegy & Infections
- Dry weather
- Winter colds
- Overexposure to extreme temperatures
- Certain medications
|Home Remedies for Dry Lips|
Natural Treatment for Cracked Lips
- One easy and simple home remedy is to apply honey on your lips but you cannotlick it. Wipe it later. Your lips become nice and softer then before.
- Coconut oil is another home remedyfor dry lips
- Aloe vera works wonders on chapped lips
- Crush some rose petals and add few drops of glycerin on them. Apply it on your lips every night before going to bed. This helps in moisturising yoyr lips and at the same time help you to retain the color of your lips.
- Rub a slice of cucumber on your lips to get rid of cracked lips.
- Apply castor oil on your chapped lips. This makes them smooth and pink.
- Mix few drops of glycerin, lemon juice and castor oil. Apply this on your lips. Wipe it off with cotton dipped in water.
- Apply milk cream on your lips to heal the lips and to keep them soft.
- Petroleum jelly or vaceline is also helpful in treating dry lips.
Some Do’s to prevent Dry Lips
- Always apply sunscreen on your lips before stepping out.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Wear Lipstick
- Gently scrub your lips, using a soft toothbrush, to get rid of the deposit of dead cells that will cause more drying and flaking.
- Eat a lot of Vitamin A rich food, like, carrots, tomatoes and green leafy vegetables
- Apply lip balm every night prior to sleeping
Some Dont's to Prevent Chapped Lips
- Never peel the dead dry skin from the lips.
- Never ever lick or bite your lips.
Note: Minor lip dryness can be treated by simply removing the cause of the dryness or using some of the home remedies listed above. However, if dry lips are causing inflammation and bleeding, it is strongly advisable that you consult with your doctor immediately since it can lead to severe infection.