Liver cirrhosis is a liver disorder, considered to be a serious hepatic disease.In this disease, the size of the liver contracts and it becomes very hard. The liver stops doing its functions like as producing bile, which is transferred to the intestine and helps in the digestion of food. Toxic and waste material from the body are ecreated through the liver. The liver also helps to produce protesins that help in the repair of old tissues and building of new tissues. Another function of liver is that it also stores and releases energy that helps the body in performing various functions. It is the only organ in the body that regenerates itself when injured. Any damage in the liver brings with it the problems with all these functions. The continuous damage of liver is the liver cirrhosis problem which affects its structure and functions that lead to hepatic failure and ultimately death.
- Frequent indigestion
- Occasional nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Low grade fever
- Bad breath
- Loss of weight
- A jaundiced skin
- Reddish hairlike markings may appear on the neck, face, arms, and trunk.
- The abdomen becomes bloated and swollen etc.
Liver Cirrhosis Causes
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Poor nutrition
- Highly toxic condition of the body system
Home Remedies for Liver Cirrhosis
- Papaya Seeds: One of the most known home remedy is the consumption of the black papaya seeds. Gring the seed. Take I Tbsp of the seeds' juice and mix with it few drops of fresh lime juice. This mixture should be given once or twice daily for about a month as a medicine for this disease.
- Eclipta: Take the juice of all parts of this plant in doses of one tsp, mixed with one tsp of honey, three times daily.
- Fig Leaves: Take 3-4 fig leaves (Ficus religiosa).Wash them properly and mix with sugar candy. Mash the mixture properly and mix it in 250 mg of water. Strain it and drink the liquid twice a day. This is a very good home remedy for liver cirrhosis.
- Glucose: Take one teaspoonful of glucose in one cup of water thrice a day in the morning, afternoon and night.
- Orange juice: Take juice of 2 oranges on an empty stomach for a week.
- Lemon juice: Squeeze a lemon in 100 grams of water. Add a little bit of salt. Drink three times a day for few days.
- Butter Milk: Buttermilk taken with a little salt and powdered roasted cumin seeds is a very helpful liver cirrhosis remedy.
- Carrot/Cucumber/Spinach Juice: Make a juice using carrots mixed with spinach or cucumber juice everyday. This is an effective home remedy for liver care.
Home Treatment for Liver Cirrhosis: Juice Fast
You can try this liver treatment at home. For this you have to abastain yourself from drinking and start the juice fast.This is a liver cleaning program where the patient has to undergo a juice fast for a week. He should consume freshly extracted juices from lemon, papaya, red beets, oranges, and grapes may be taken during this period.After a week, the patient should take juice and milk diet for 2-3 weeks. The patient should have 3 meals a day of fresh fruit juices of pears, grapes, apples, grapefruit, oranges, pineapples, and peaches. With each meal, he should take a liter of milk, divided into 3 parts for the 3 meals. The milk should be gradually increased by 250 ml daily and go up to 2 litres a day. It should be sipped very slowly and slightly warmed. After the fruit and milk diet for 2-3 weeks, he should have a Well-balanced diet consisting of nuts, seeds, grains, vegetables, and fruits.
Other Treatment for Liver Cirrhosis
- Decrease intake of fried and spicy foods.
- Alcoholic drinks even in small amounts should be avoided.
- Keep a white-coloured glass bottle filled with water in the sun for 6-8 hours. Drink this water after cooling. This is a very simple remedy for liver cirhosis.
- All fats and oils should be excluded from the diet for several weeks.
- Warm-water enema; The patient should be kept in bed. A warm-water enema should be used daily to cleanse the bowels during the juice fast and thereafter, if necessary.
- Hot and cold compresses: Application of hot and cold compresses, for two to three minutes each, on the liver area are beneficial.
- Yoga and Exercise: Certain yoga posture have shown good recovery from the cirrhosis of liver. The ‘Pranayama’ breathing technique is considered to be one of the best physical exercises for any digestive disorder including the liver disease.
- Ayurvedic Herbs: Certain Ayurvedic herbs like Kaalmegha, Bhumyamlaki and Bhringraj works on the hepatocytes and are considered to be toning the liver. These are effective natural remedies for cirrhosis.
Herbal Liver Tablets
You can also opt for some authentic liver capsules, herbal liver care capsules available in the market.